Saturday, September 25, 2010

ROCK-a-bye Baby

I've had two great baby showers for our little guy. I forgot to take my camera to the ward shower, but I took lots of pictures at the Gleason shower... be prepared... LOTS of pictures.

It started off like any other shower. Cream puffs with blue icing...

cute blue-wrapped candies...

chocolate-covered caramel pretzels (mmmm)...


and rock-themed cupcakes!

So, it wasn't all that traditional, but it was so much fun. Josh's mom and sisters made everything rock-and-roll for the shower. I wish I would have taken a picture of the invitations. They totally set the mood for our rock-on baby boy shower!

Melissa made the cake and all the fondant decorations and cupcake toppers. This is a fondant version of me. I love that I have a guitar! Please note the "ROCK" in the background :)

More cupcake toppers that Melissa made... I think Angie worked on them, too. I've got to give props to Melissa. Not only did she make the cake and decorations, she also made a wedding cake that weekend. You can check out her decorating stylings here.

The sisters also made this guitar from diapers, washcloths, a hooded towel, and a onesie. It's so cute, I don't want to take it apart!

Here's the entire table. You can see the cupcake stand made from old records (how awesome is that?). I loved the pom-pom balls and the banner. I didn't take a great picture of the banner, but it was so cute. I had a great time. The Gleason girls sure can throw a party!

So a few days later, Josh and I introduced the baby to some classic rock in utero by attending seeing, live and in concert...

KISS!
Now some people are surprised when they hear I'm a fan, but please! Senior citizens wearing face-paint, shoulder pads, and platform shoes... what's not to love? Josh usually picks out concerts he wants to go to, but I insisted on this one. It was so worth the money and the exhaustion at school the next day.

Here we are waiting for the rock legends. Opening bands: The Envy (pretty good) and The Academy Is (I think our junior high boys choir can sing better than these guys)

Still waiting...

Paul Stanley! He is hilarious and can wail like nobody else. Also, he zip-lined out to a spinning platform in the audience and sang "I was made for loving you." Oh, Paul...

Dr. Love! Yes, it's Mr. Gene Simmons. For being 61, this man still has some moves.

The Catman--Eric Singer hamming it up on his rising platform.

Sorry, Tommy Thayer, I didn't get any good pictures of you...

THIS was impressive though. They hooked Gene up to some wires and raised him up to a platform ABOVE the overhead stage lights. I realize that he had wires and everything, but accidents happen and he's wearing huge shoes AND he's 61. I can't help but wonder... how is he not dead?
And for the 45-minute encore: fireworks, confetti bombs, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance (go, patriotism!), and pyrotechnics. It was awesome. Baby liked it, too :)

5 comments:

Ryan... said...

I love it! I'm sure he loved the concert from inside! :)

Jessica said...

Holy cow, that cake and those cupcakes are amazing! What an awesome shower! And I giggled a little when I found out you were a KISS fan.

Esplins said...

Rock on Kim! It cracks me up to think of you rockin' out at the KISS concert. Glad you and baby enjoyed it. Your shower was adorable. Thanks for letting me be part.

Ashley Welling said...

I would have loved to go to the Kiss concert. I love watching the show about his family. It is so funny!

Annette said...

What an awesome post! I'm sorry I missed the shower. I love that you went to see KISS so prego!