Thursday, April 30, 2009

Poem of the Week

"Our Bog is Dood" by Stevie Smith is one of my all time favorite poems. It's a little weird, but kind of catchy so it sticks in your head (like the Cypress Credit Union jingle). You can read the poem here, if you're feeling artsy and poetic.

Why is this the poem of the week? I could be all deep and philosophical about the interpretation (either "Our God is dead" or "Our God is good" depending on who you ask), but my reason is oh, so much more simple. The last stanza reads
"Oh sweet it was to leave them then,
And sweeter not to see,
And sweetest of all to walk alone
Beside the encroaching sea..."

and I'm leaving my students today! How sweet is that? AND I'll walk beside the sea, too! This poem was meant for me :)

Thanks for letting my geek-out. I hope you have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Arti said...

Great Poem. Oh, and great geek out moment :)

Justin and Melissa said...

I want Hawaii pics and cupcake ones as well!