Friday, May 28, 2010

Worst Day Ever (?)

I know everyone has crazy little personality quirks, but I am convinced that mine are the weirdest. I always, always, always prepare for the worst case scenario of every situation. I don't think of myself as a pessimist though... I just like to be prepared for bad news. I think I get it from the "Whetherman" in The Phantom Tollbooth (awesome book) who says, "If you always expect the unexpected, the unexpected will never happen."

Anyway, I had myself completely convinced that I was going to have a terrible day earlier this week. It was a day that I was not looking forward to at all. I had been dreading it for months. I was even hoping to take the day off of work, so I could mope in my misery alone. And... it was fine. It was better than fine. It was a great day. I got to spend time with my cute little (though much taller than me) brother, and I got one-on-one time with his fiance, who is absolutely wonderful. I'm so glad she'll be a part of our family. I got my stuff moved into our beautiful, new school. And I even got my grades updated.

At the end of the day, I had to remind myself that this was supposed to be my "bad day." And then I felt stupid for dreading this day, which turned out to be pretty freaking awesome. Blerg! I hate my worst-case-scenario mind! I need to train myself out of it. Hopefully, you all have weird quirks too, so I won't feel so bad about mine!

3 comments:

Hector, Kimberly, Alex and Gabe said...

You, my dear, nead to read "The Secret"

Jessica said...

I think most of my quirks are ones you'd only notice if you lived with me. Or I should say slept with me. I'm a very light sleeper and it brings out the obsessive in me. I have to have quiet (if there is a ticking clock in the house I will hunt it down and tear out its batteries), I can't have any lights on in the room (like not even from a phone charging), and the closet door needs to be shut. I don't know why, it just does. It drives Scott crazy. :)

Esplins said...

Kim I just love you. You always make me laugh. I'm thrilled your day wasn't awful and instead the opposite. I'm back from my trip now so I'll call you soon so we can get together. Hope you've enjoyed your first 10 days of summer vacation!